kdeedu-marble and digikam

Ben Boeckel MathStuf at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 21:25:29 UTC 2009

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On 04/23/2009 08:35 AM, Rex Dieter wrote:
>> Ben Boeckel wrote:

it,
>>> but yum tells me

photo
>>> manager?
>>>
>>> Digikam can show where a photo was taken on a map
if
>>> the EXIF tags are there. It should probably be an
>>> optional dependency, but that'd be something for
>>> upstream to sort out most likely.
>>
>> correct, GEOIP tagging feature, which is linked into
the application, so
>> it's not possible to remove the hard dep (without
losing the feature).

> <rant>
> Let me just say for the record that this sucks.
kdeedu-marble is a 30MB
> download which I have no intention of using, not even
for geo-tagging,
> i.e. I don't care about losing the feature and I
conjecture that this is
> likely to be true of a great many users. It's absurd
that this isn't
> optional. I get it that it's an upstream problem, so
my complaint is
> really directed at the KDE folks, but still.
> </rant>
>
> I guess I'll register my displeasure on the KDE BZ.
>
> poc

It could possibly be added as a KService, but I don't
know if Digikam's architecture is amenable to this
(plugins would handle displaying of certain EXIF
tags?). If it can't be made into a KService, there's
not much we can do about it. If it can be, I'd expect
4.4 to be the earliest you can expect it. Mind linking
the bug you filed here?

- --Ben

TuqUDEhatI4ANWPb/1PvSmm0pvjS0E/A at public.gmane.org