Need some testing done.

Martin Kho lists.kho at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 11:07:11 UTC 2009

> On Tuesday 18 August 2009 14:06:34 Steven M. Parrish wrote:
> > I am working on tracking down what is causing KPackagekit to change its
> > default behavior.   We have the defaults set to Daily/None but somehow
> > they are getting changed to Hourly/Security.  Based on what I am seeing
> > on my own boxes it appears to be changing when kpackagekit crashes for
> > whatever reason.
> >
> > This is what I need to help track it down.  If kpackagekit crashes by
> > itself or if you have to abort it please do the following.
> >
> > cat ~/.kde/share/config/KPackageKit
> >
> > make sure that the first 3 lines read as follows.
> >   (Assumes you have Daily/None)
> >
> > [CheckUpdate]
> > autoUpdate=0
> > interval=86400
> >
> > If it does not match please do
> >
> > stat ~/.kde/share/config/KPackageKit
> >
> > note the time the file was last modified and see if that coincides with
> > the crash of kpackagekit.

> I've been watching this with interest.  I've never had any problems with
> KPackageKit, but my ~/.kde/share/config/KPackageKit only has
>
> [CheckUpdate]
> interval=3600
>
> I have noticed recently that I can update, then find new updates being
> notified quite soon afterwards.  I think this is a recent change to
> behaviour.
>
> Anne

My settings also misses the autoUpdate=0 line:

[CheckUpdate]
interval=86400

Systemsettings -> Settings -> Automatically install is set to "none".

I've had never any issues with KPackageKit on F11. But since I have an update
(VirtualBox) pending (can't install it because of a missing dependency),
KPackageKit 'eats' my computer memory and crashes a lot of programs. This
happened two times this week. (my computer runs 24/7). In /var/log/messages I
see 'Memory low' and  'Out of memory' messages. To solve the problem, I've to
kill the kpackagekit deamon. Btw. after killing the deamon nothing is changed
in the config file.

Does anyone else have seen this?

@Steven: I don't know if this issue is relevant for the issue you're trying to
track down?