Using hard links in Dolphin

John5342 john5342 at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 27 17:27:53 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 17:41, Patrick O'Callaghan<pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 16:57 +0100, John5342 wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 15:14, Patrick O'Callaghan<pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Also, (OT) what's the difference between Play, Queue, Play Next and
>> > Queue Next in this menu?
>>
>> Play plays immediately skipping any remaining time on the current track.
>>
>> Queue adds the track to the end of the current playlist.
>>
>> Play next adds the track to the current playlist immediately after the
>> currently playing track.
>>
>> Queue next adds the track to the end of the playlist and then after
>> the currently playing track skips all the way to the end of the
>> playlist to the requested track.
>
> So Play Next effectively inserts the track into the playlist, i.e. after
> that track ends the playlist will continue? I assume that's what you
> mean, otherwise it would be the same as Queue Next.

You are correct about play next.

Queue next actually puts tracks at the end of the playlist but once
the current track ends skips the remainder of the playlist to the
track you just queued. This is different from play next because you
have effectively skipped most of your playlist whereas play next would
effectively continue playing your playlist after the new track.

> Also, do any of these actions modify the playlist as such? e.g. will
> they change the effect of looping?

I would imagine so. I only use random so my playlists never have to
loop anyway (tracks are just automatically qeued at random).

> I know I could experiment and find out, but if KDE is meant to be easy
> to use, this stuff (and a lot more besides) should be in the Help docs
> (yes Anne, I know and I'm willing to do it if asked :-).

It is fairly self explanatory when you realise what the words refer
to. Queue adds things to the end of the playlist and Next plays it
after the current track.

> Thanks for your answer in any case.

Glad it helped

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't...