Sound used to work, now it doesn't

Mary Ellen Foster mefoster at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 13:49:19 UTC 2009

2009/12/1 Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com>:
> Asus EeePC 1000E, F12, KDE 4.3.
>
> I had sound configured and working. Now, without me changing anything
> I'm aware of, it doesn't. System Settings shows the same info as before
> (PA as first choice), Kmix has all the sliders at full and is not muted,
> but even the Test button doesn't produce any sound, even when selecting
> the Intel hardware directly.
>
> The only backend I have is Xine, though I seem to remember that
> Gstreamer is now preferred. I installed everything gstreamer-related I
> could find, including all the plugins, and I still only get offered
> Xine. What else can I do?

FWIW, my husband's laptop started doing the same thing yesterday too
-- he does get sound if he disables pulseaudio, though.

MEF

--
Mary Ellen Foster -- http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/~mef3/
Interaction Lab -- http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/InteractionLab

Heriot-Watt University is a Scottish charity registered under charity
number SC000278