NetworkManager under KDE

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Mon Dec 14 14:57:56 UTC 2009

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

>> > system-config-network.
>>
>> What about it?
>> I have the checkbox "Activate device when computer starts" ticked,
>> but this appears to have no effect.
>
> Do you also have "controlled by NetworkManager" ticked? Try "allow all
> users to activate/deactivate". I have all three of these and it works
> fine.
>
> And make sure of course that you're setting this stuff for the correct
> device, just in case.

Thanks very much for the response.
I did in fact have the correct entries under system-config-network .

I found in the end (by studying /var/log/messages)
that the problem was an error in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 ,
where Fedora had at some point written "MODE=Master",
which according to the log-file is invalid
["ifcfg-rh: error: Invalid mode 'master' (not 'Ad-Hoc' or 'Managed')"].
After changing this to "MODE=Managed", all is well;
WiFi now starts before login.

I find it slightly odd that the effect of this error
is that one has to enter a password;
I would have thought it would be an error
whether a password was given or not.

I also find the NetworkManager entries in /var/log/messages
excessively verbose; they seem to take up about half of this file,
which suggests to me that NM is excessively complicated.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net