4.3.4: KDE - no sound.

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Thu Dec 17 16:17:34 UTC 2009

Gilboa Davara wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 07:45 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
>> Gilboa Davara wrote:
>>
>> > Hello all,
>> >
>> > I just installed F12 on my private workstation, and upgrade the
>> > "built-in" KDE to 4.3.4 from kde-redhat unstable (x86_64, some i686
>> > libs taken from the i386 repo).
>> > Login, logout, and no more sound.
>> > By looking at the control center, I can see that KDE only sees the
>> > Pulseaudio sound server (instead of Pulse + on-board HDA Intel (alsa) +
>> > SB Audigy 2 (alsa) and USB microphone (USB camera).
>>
>> that's expected, see also,
>> http://colin.guthr.ie/2009/10/so-how-does-the-kde-pulseaudio-support-
work-
>> anyway/
>
> Is it something -very- new?
> I mean, I never saw it before. (Both KDE 4.3.3 under F11 and KDE 4.3.3
> under F12 gave me the full list of devices, including non-PA ones...)

Yes, new as of our kde-4.3.4 builds (this same support is/will-be in kde-4.4
upstream).

You should also get the full list of real devices if you have the PA device-
manager module loaded.  If this isn't available, you'll now only is
PulseAudio.   The logic being if PulseAudio is loaded, none of the other
devices are available or usable anyway, so why bother to display them?

This is all outlined/explained in Colin Guthrie's recent blogs on the topic.

-- Rex