F12: 30 second freeze when accessing certain panel items ?

Laurent Rineau laurent.rineau__fedora at normalesup.org
Thu Dec 17 16:50:51 UTC 2009

On Thursday 17 December 2009 01:41:07 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Linuxguy123 wrote:
> > The other thing that bugs we is that we are constantly (since F10) in no
> > man's land.  Nouveau isn't finished and totally working yet. In fact,
> > Fedora people weren't keen about Linux merging it in 2.6.33 !  And yet
> > the KDE developers keep writing stuff that doesn't work with the
> > proprietary nvidia driver.
> >
> > If the Fedora/KDE community wants to force us to use nouveau then they
> > need to complete it, ie clean up all the bugs and build a GUI that
> > allows one to control it like nvidia has done.  I'd GLADLY use nouveau
> > then.
> >
> > UNTIL then we have to realize we live in a TWO driver community.   Some
> > of use still need to use the proprietary nvidia driver.
>
> You don't NEED to use the proprietary driver, you just need to buy
>  supported hardware. The intel and radeon drivers are both more advanced
>  than the Nouveau driver, thanks to Intel and AMD/ATI providing specs, and
>  Intel even developing a Free as in speech driver themselves. Buying NVidia
>  hardware gives money to a company which doesn't support Free Software and
>  leaves you in the messy situation you describe, it's just a plain bad
>  idea.

Nevertheless, as far as I know, NVidia cards under Linux is the only available
option for my needs at work: I need a crunching 3D OpenGL that can eat lots of
triangles. When I had a look last time (January 2009), NVidia proprietary
drivers seemed to be the best option, on the performances side. ATI drivers
were not supporting recent 3D cards, and Intel 3D performances were a joke.

Maybe it has changed recently. I hope so! As far as openness matters, Intel
seems to be the best open source support, but AFAIK the Intel developers are
not giving specs of Intel cards: they only gives open source drivers, and
third-part developers have difficulties to fix bugs in Intel drivers. That is
not that good. ATI gives specifications, but the open source community does
not seem to have enough man power to give good 3D drivers for recent cards. I
dream of a manufacturer who would gives the specs *and* provides man power to
implement open source drivers...

--
Laurent Rineau, PhD
R&D Engineer at GeometryFactory           http://www.geometryfactory.com/