F12: 30 second freeze when accessing certain panel items ?

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Fri Dec 18 08:09:27 UTC 2009

Am Donnerstag, 17. Dezember 2009 schrieb Kevin Kofler:
> Martin (KDE) wrote:
> > I don't think that nVidias driver demotivates free driver
> > developer.
>
> I have observed that where a proprietary freeware exists for
>  GNU/Linux, there's a lot less progress on a truly Free alternative
>  than where it doesn't. Too many people are content with using the
>  proprietary stuff as long as they don't have to pay for it,
>  whereas if there's no GNU/Linux version of the proprietary stuff,
>  it forces them to work on an alternative which usually gets
>  released under a Free license.

That's true. But please keep in mind that users buying cheap stuff in
supermarkets don't look for special linux support. If they try linux
and don't get the graphic to work they will refuse to use linux at
all.

So there must be a way to get nVidia cards running and with a little
luck Nouveau will replace the proprietary nVidia driver soon.

> > - Star Office (today known as openOffice) in the time no office
> > was available
>
> How long ago was that? KOffice has existed since 1998.

Ah, KOffice: I tested it every now and then, but the document files
were not interchangeable and it was to shaky. My main writing program
was (and still is) LaTeX ;-)

> > - nVidia driver (since about half a year - I try Nouveau driver
> > every now and then and it is getting better so I hope to switch
> > to Nouveau soon) (Why nVidia? Nowadays it is not that easy to by
> > a passive AGP graphic card).
>
> There's at least one being sold in most of Europe based on a Radeon
>  HD, it should now work in F12, probably even with 3D with
>  mesa-dri-drivers- experimental.

I had to many problems with ATI cards in the last year (X200 and
9200). OpenGL was not working (garbage on screen with KMS, crash
without KMS). Bug was reported and many other Radeon Xxxx Card user
were affected as well. X200 refused to work with KMS enabled.

Since about two years I was looking to replace the old ATI 9200 card
with one with good free driver but I found none. Finally I bought a
cheap nvidia card. This will work the next two years (hopefully with a
openGL enabled Nouveau driver).

>         Kevin Kofler

Martin

BTW: Thanks to you and all others bringing KDE to Fedora. This was the
main reason, switching from Mandriva to Fedora.