4.3.4: KDE - no sound.

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 15:48:00 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-12-18 at 09:35 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Gilboa Davara wrote:
> > On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 10:17 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> >> Gilboa Davara wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, new as of our kde-4.3.4 builds (this same support is/will-be in kde-4.4
> >> upstream).
> >> You should also get the full list of real devices if you have the PA device-
> >> manager module loaded.  If this isn't available, you'll now only is
> >> PulseAudio.   The logic being if PulseAudio is loaded, none of the other
> >> devices are available or usable anyway, so why bother to display them?
> >
> > OK. Switched to the latest PA from updates-testing - I can see the
> > d-m-d .so module - but do I enable it? (Google didn't really return
> > anything - neither did the blog)

First, thanks for the help :)

> pactl list | grep device-manager

OK. module seems to be active.

$ pactl list | grep device-manager
        Name: module-device-manager

> will output something if it is loaded.  It gets autoloaded by
> /etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio-kde.desktop
>
> Can manually do so by running
> /usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-kde
> >> This is all outlined/explained in Colin Guthrie's recent blogs on the topic.
> > Read it. Still no sound :(
>
> That's likely unrelated to pa device-manager

I'm lost.
The problem is KDE only. (I restarted pulse using start-pulseaudio-kde)
mplayer works, skype works, VLC works... everything except phonon works.

What's the next step?

Thanks,
- Gilboa