PreUpgrade help, please - SOLVED

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 20 20:01:35 UTC 2009

On Sunday 20 December 2009 17:18:35 Patrick Boutilier wrote:
> On 12/20/2009 01:01 PM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Sunday 20 December 2009 16:52:33 Anne Wilson wrote:
> >> I've just used PreUpgrade for the first time, and I'm a bit worried
> >> about the result.  Everything I see seems to suggest that the system
> >> believes me to be still in F11.  I did reboot when instructed, and I've
> >> just finished removing the packages listed by 'package-cleanup
> >> --orphans', though I haven't yet gone through the rpmnew and rpmsav
> >> files.
> >>
> >> What have I missed?
> >>
> >> Anne
> >
> > Hopefully solved, anyway :-)  Nowhere in the PreUpgrade notes does it say
> > that the default will be to continue in F11, or that it is necessary to
> > interrupt Grub to start the upgrade :-)
>
> I believe that is a bug. Preupgrade from 10 to 11 booted into Anoconda
> by default, but 11 to 12 doesn't.

Well, it finally finished, just as I'd begun to think it was stuck.
Unfortunately it booted to a black screen.  I tried several times to boot with
an edited grub entry, without success.  This last time it suddenly started up
a blue screen with the Fedora infinity sign - and I thought I was winning - but
it's still sitting there, a black screen with a flashing cursor at the top
left.  If I don't crack this soon I'll end up wiping it and installing from
disk.

Later - well, at least I got as far as a text login.  Now I have to try to get
the display working.  system-config-display is not installed.  Yum tells me
that it can't retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository:fedora.
I have already disabled adobe repo and ATrpms repo, and I guess that it's
going to fail on all the others too, by the sound of it.  Any ideas?