PreUpgrade help, please - SOLVED

Eelko Berkenpies fedora at berkenpies.nl
Sun Dec 20 20:12:38 UTC 2009

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 20:01:35 +0000, Anne Wilson
<cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 20 December 2009 17:18:35 Patrick Boutilier wrote:

>> > Hopefully solved, anyway :-)  Nowhere in the PreUpgrade notes does it
>> > say
>> > that the default will be to continue in F11, or that it is necessary
>> > interrupt Grub to start the upgrade :-)
>>
>> I believe that is a bug. Preupgrade from 10 to 11 booted into Anoconda
>> by default, but 11 to 12 doesn't.
>>
> Well, it finally finished, just as I'd begun to think it was stuck.
> Unfortunately it booted to a black screen.  I tried several times to
boot
> with
> an edited grub entry, without success.  This last time it suddenly
started
> up
> a blue screen with the Fedora infinity sign - and I thought I was
winning
> - but
> it's still sitting there, a black screen with a flashing cursor at the
top
> left.  If I don't crack this soon I'll end up wiping it and installing
> from
> disk.
>
> Later - well, at least I got as far as a text login.  Now I have to try
> get
> the display working.  system-config-display is not installed.  Yum tells
> me
> that it can't retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for
> repository:fedora.
> I have already disabled adobe repo and ATrpms repo, and I guess that
it's
> going to fail on all the others too, by the sound of it.  Any ideas?
>
> Anne

For a start, are you really on F12 or are you stuck with rawhide for
whatever reason? Rawhide has a broken curl which breaks yum with the
symptoms you are having. Second, obviously, I assume your (inter)net(work)
works? Third, what kind of video hardware are we talking about? :)

Most of my similar problems were solved by updating after preupgrade. Some
hassling was involved for me though due to (I hardly dare to speak it out
loud on this mailinglist) nVidia hardware. :)

--
Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards,
Eelko Berkenpies