PreUpgrade help, please - SOLVED

José Matos jamatos at fc.up.pt
Sun Dec 20 23:22:43 UTC 2009

On Sunday 20 December 2009 20:01:35 Anne Wilson wrote:
> Well, it finally finished, just as I'd begun to think it was stuck.
> Unfortunately it booted to a black screen.  I tried several times to boot
>  with  an edited grub entry, without success.  This last time it suddenly
>  started up a blue screen with the Fedora infinity sign - and I thought I
>  was winning - but it's still sitting there, a black screen with a flashing
>  cursor at the top left.  If I don't crack this soon I'll end up wiping it
>  and installing from disk.
>
> Later - well, at least I got as far as a text login.  Now I have to try to
>  get  the display working.

First things first, /var/log/Xorg.0.log should tell you what is wrong with X.

Second, what does cat /etc/fedora-release says?

>  system-config-display is not installed.  Yum
>  tells me that it can't retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for
>  repository:fedora. I have already disabled adobe repo and ATrpms repo, and
>  I guess that it's going to fail on all the others too, by the sound of
>  it.  Any ideas?

Assuming you are not running rawhide I suggest to clean the metadata for yum:

yum clean metadata

then if the problem with fedora repo still persists you can try to comment the
mirrorlist line (add a # at begin) and uncomment the above line of baseurl.

Another possible option is to move the mirrorlist from https to http. FWIW the
last two options are fallback moves and I don't recommend them for general
purpose, in one or other occasion for update purposes I had to play with them
to get the system to a working state from where all worked.

--
José Abílio