local alias not respected

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 25 11:35:40 UTC 2009

On Friday 25 December 2009 03:38:16 Armelius Cameron wrote:

> > > Nope, newaliases is for sendmail. :-)
> >
> > Thought so, that's why I said 'or something' :-)
> >
> > > Does it still not work if you run the alias command from a shell prompt
> > > and then try yus ?
> > >

> > > alias yus='yum update --skip-broken'
> >
> > It does.  A clue then - it seems to be a matter of paths.  The command is
> >  in my user bashrc, and it always worked from a root console before.
> > What do you think?
>
> So how did you get to the root console ?

I have a root profile in konsole.  I use that for updates, and occasionally
for other maintenance jobs.  Nothing has changed in the profile.  The command
for the profile is '/bin/su -' which produces the request for the root
password..  I can run the command 'yum update --skip-broken' by hand.

> If you get a user console, then do "su" to get the root console, then it
> should work. If you do "su -", I don't think it'd work as "su -" change the
> environment to use root's.

You've lost me.  Surely to do updates I *do* want to be root, in root's
environment?

I've defined the alias in root's .bashrc, so now it works, but I'm still
puzzled as to why it worked before the upgrade, without that.

KDE Community Working Group