local alias not respected

Ariel Constenla-Haile ariel.constenla.haile at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 25 15:58:05 UTC 2009

Hello Anne,

On Friday 25 December 2009, 10:25, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > You've lost me.  Surely to do updates I *do* want to be root, in root's
> > > environment?
> >
> > environment as in environment variables. Check the differences from the
> > output of the set command for instance when switching to root using
> >
> > su
> >
> > and
> >
> > su -
>
> OK,I understand what you are saying, but it still doesn't explain why it
> worked in F11, but not in F12.  I'm trying to understand what has changed.

I think the explanation here is that when you switch to su with the command
su -
the env. vars. from /root/.bashrc are read, not the ones from your
/home/<anne>/.bashrc
So the solution is that you, as root, edit /root/.bashrc and place the alias
there.
Me, for example, I like yum messages in English, not in Spanish (my sys.
default locale), so I edited /root/.bashrc and added
export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
and every time Konsole loads the profile, the locale is changed automatically.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina