local alias not respected

Armelius Cameron armeliusc at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 16:54:59 UTC 2009

On Friday 25 December 2009 08:25:20 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 25 December 2009 13:05:49 Patrick Boutilier wrote:
> > On 12/25/2009 07:35 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > <snip>

> > > You've lost me.  Surely to do updates I *do* want to be root, in root's
> > > environment?
> >
> > environment as in environment variables. Check the differences from the
> > output of the set command for instance when switching to root using
> >
> > su
> >
> > and
> >
> > su -
>
> OK,I understand what you are saying, but it still doesn't explain why it
> worked in F11, but not in F12.  I'm trying to understand what has changed.

Sorry if I wasn't being very clear (I was in a hurry) :).

As Patrick explained, and far as I know, it has always been the case that
"su -" will read root's shell environment and overwrite any user shell
environment including alias and env. variables.

Is there any possibility that you had that alias in root's .bashrc before the
upgrade and simply forgot about that ? Or, it could be that command for the
root profile was "/bin/su" before ?

In any case, it seems that you got it to work.
--
AC