Kontact/Akonadi is disastrous on 4.3.85

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 31 14:28:21 UTC 2009

First kontact would not start at all.  This seems to be due to the fact that
it was seeking a non-existent folder, /home/anne/.local/share/Local, IIRC.
Pointing this to my local mail directory allowed Kontact to start, but I've
since been told that that is a bad idea - and I haven't been told what I
should do about it.

Then I discovered that my addressbook was empty.  I replaced the file from a
backup, restarted everything, but still couldn't see any addresses.  Exploring
the Akonadi setup I confirmed that it was pointing to the correct file.  In
the end I added a new Resource, pointing it to the same file.  All my
addresses were now visible and I thought I had won.  Not so.  Today I needed
to add a phone number.  Edit opened a blank form - none of the existing
details showing.  You could type into a field, but saving it made no
difference.  The new item didn't show.  Now, some hours later, Edit is working
and I can add the phone number.

During that time I have kept getting spells of seeing Kontact use more than
50% CPU, forcing the total to 99-100%, so that I had to shut it down.  Several
times.  I can only assume that it's Akonadi trying to organise the data, but
it has simply made it unusable.  Unless these issues can be resolved there are
going to be some major screams.

KDE Community Working Group