When will KDE4.2 hit the F10 Stable repo... (nice work, btw...)

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 16:43:27 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 17:09 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > Yes and no. If you just blindly do a "yum update" with updates-testing
> > enabled, you'll get testing versions of everything you have installed,
> > which may or may not be good. My usual practice is to do "yum
> > --enablerepo=updates-testing update <package>" which presumably lessens
> > the risk somewhat.
>
> That said, there's no single package to list for the KDE update. You need to
> list every package (binary package, the update info lists only the source
> packages) included in the KDE update which you have installed. It's not
> easy to get such a list.

True, but then one has to wonder what we mean when we say "KDE", if it's
not actually specified somewhere, and if there is such a spec then why
we can't use it directly for updating.

> yum --enablerepo=updates-testing groupupdate kde-desktop
> can approximate it somehow, but may be missing important library updates.

OT: isn't this also a limitation of RPM? As I understand it package
dependancies work on the basis of "minimum version of X necessary to
install Y". It could be useful to support an optional "recommended
version, if available" in the spec file, which would go some way to
solving the above.

poc