CDs in Amarok

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Feb 15 19:22:24 UTC 2009

Nicolas Lécureuil wrote:
> what about KScd ?

That app has been rewritten and has become horrible crap in 4.2. :-(
* Uses ugly skins instead of a standard KDE GUI.
* Lost all its options (e.g. analog playback etc.).
* Uses MusicBrainz instead of FreeDB:
- which is a step backwards because you can't submit your own data, as far
as I know you need some proprietary MusicBrainz client to do that
(MusicBrainz has 2 levels of fingerprinting, the one implemented in Free
Software can be used for retrieval only),
- which also means you cannot switch to another server, because the protocol
is non-standard,
- and they used the old deprecated libtunepimp stack which uses an old
protocol which will be turned off on the servers soon! And the app doesn't
even compile without those old libs.

Basically, it has become completely worthless due to the crappy rewrite. The
old Kscd was way better than the broken excuse for an app we have in 4.2.

They sacrificed all the useful features for skins, and I hate skins, they
make the app look completely out of place. And there's no way to revert to
a standard GUI. So the app is completely useless.

I'm seriously thinking of forking the version from 4.1 and either packaging
it separately or patching the Fedora kdemultimedia to include the forked
version instead of the broken useless crap upstream ships.

        Kevin Kofler