File a bug against what?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 18 20:03:52 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 18 February 2009 19:50:09 Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 February 2009 21:43:34 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I want to file a report concerning slowness and transitory freezes, on
> > the Acer Aspire One.  I have some observations that need to be passed on.
> > However, I'm unsure about the component choice.  I thought it would be
> > kwin, but that's not an option.  It's definitely a graphics rendering
> > problem, so which component do I choose?
> >
> > Anne
>
> Maybe you could describe what the problem is. Maybe including the hardware
> embedded in the laptop (ie video card, cpu type, memory etc.)

Basically, I had been seeing increasing slowdowns of many functions, including
long pauses before kmail could send a message out (and during which no other
activity was possible).  These could last anything up to around 15 seconds.
It had proved impossible to find a pattern to the behaviour.  I could have
been suffering from this for hours, then suddenly one or two messages would
depart promptly.

All this was on the Acer Aspire One, which has an Intel Mobile 945GME Express
graphics unit.  I had desktop effects enabled, but was only using 'dim
inactive windows'.  Two days ago I decided to try changing the compositing
type from OpenGL to XRender.  The improvement was immediate and obvious.  It
isn't perfect, but it's a great deal better.

I know that information is being gathered about various display card problems.
I want to add this one to the collection, and to point out the workaround.
FWIW, at least one other user that I have talked to has had a similar result
though the details differ.  He will add his information to my report.