login with kdm and home directories on nfs4

Oron Peled oron at actcom.co.il
Tue Jan 6 21:48:19 UTC 2009

On Tuesday, 6 בJanuary 2009, Martin (KDE) wrote:
> > > My home directorys are stored on a NFS4 server and can are
> > > mounted by netfs script. the sub directories are accessable by
> > > the corresponding user and everything is fine - most of the time.
> > > which says something like SELinux prevents kdm (xdm_t) "mount" to
> > > access nfs_t. The sealert result is not very informative for me.

Just another data point -- I use nfs4 + KDM on a small SOHO network
and don't have these issues. Three users (including me) use KDE desktop
and one of my kids uses GNOME.

I migrated from nfs3 to nfs4 back in F7 or F8 (forgot which)
and keep using it until now (F10 updated daily).
[Is your install up to date?]

I've alternated between gdm and kdm through the years. My current choice is
kdm at least until gdm will be configurable again ;-(

My biggest gripe with kdm is that due to the way KDE handles i18n (through
system-settings and not environment variables), kdm does not have a language
selection box in it's login widget and is therefore a non-starter for GNOME
desktop users with i18n needs.

--
Oron Peled                                 Voice: +972-4-8228492
MCSE: Minesweeper Consultant and Solitaire Expert.