Could/should the new nvidia driver be added to the release candidate live release ?

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 15:12:05 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 08:37 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Linuxguy123 wrote:
> >>>
> >> And if you still have problems, try the fix at http://userbase.kde.org/GPU-
> >> Performance#Desktop_Effects_causes_random_freezes
> >>
> >> A number of people have found that it fixes their problems.
> >
> > More hacking around.  Linux is supposed to be a mainstream, user ready
> > product.   How do we justify asking people to know things about their
> > video cards to get it to work properly.
> >
> > I still say that even if the nVidia cards had issues the KDE community
> > could have developed an app to help people tune their cards.  Its 2009
> > people.  Users shouldn't have to go hand editing xorg.conf files !
>
> Agreed.  No one is arguing that point.
>
> The point of contention is that most folks here assert
> fedora/kde isn't the place for this to happen.
> *NVIDIA* is where things should "just work", it's their driver, they
> should fix it.
>
> Seriously, are you (or anyone else in the same boat) spending even half
> as much energy engaging NVIDIA to fix this?  (I'd bet $$ answer is no).
>
> If not, why not?  That's what I don't understand.

a) Because other people have.

b) nVidia is only half the problem.  Its really too bad that their
drivers don't work, but that is the environment that KDE is working
with.  KDE should be doing *something* for people this doesn't work for.
You can't write a piece of software that depends on a certain feature
and leave people out in the cold if it doesn't work for them.

The code in question should have 2 modes, one for cards that work and
one for those that don't OR SOMETHING.

I've been running F10 since it was released and I've NEVER had a working
folderview.  Do you know how frustrating that is ?