My questions were not to the point (was Re: 3 Questions)

Martin Kho mdl_1 at xs4all.nl
Tue Jan 20 00:38:35 UTC 2009

> On Monday 19 January 2009 17:24:24 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Monday 19 January 2009 15:30:35 Martin Kho wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > 1. How can I get Kickoff straight to the left side, so that i can drop
> > > my mouse there and blindly click the blue 'back-button'? Now there is a
> > > little space between the button and the left edge.
> >
> > See question 2 :-)

My question had nothing to do with the placement of Kickoff on the panel, but
with the Kickoff menu itself. Go to the Applications tab and click any item
with sub-items. Then you see to the left the 'blue-back-bar-button'. Drop your
mouse to the left edge and you can't press the 'back-button'. In the stable
version of KDE - 4.3.1 - there was no space between the left edge and the
Kickoff menu. My 'problem' has to do with the latest kde testing - 4.1.96 -
version.

> > > 2. When I open applications, they always appear is some ordered way on
> > > the panel. In my case from left to right: Dolphin, Firefox, Kmail,
> > > Konsole. It doesn't matter which applications is started first. Can I
> > > manipulate this behavior?
> >
> > They are, apparently, in alphabetical order.  Do you normally quit and
> > boot up with those applications open?

After some clicking - left and right button - on the panel I found the
solution. In the latest kde version right clicking on the taskbar - the part
where opened applications are - the task manager gives you a lot more options
then in the previous version. Here you can choose - besides 'alphabetic' -
Don't sort, Manual and Desktop.

> No, I always cleanup everything before I leave my desk(top) :-)
>
> > It will always try to resume a session
> > with open applications, and I believe alphabetical order is the default.
> > I normally close all apps except konversation when I quit, so
> > konversation is the only one that starts automatically, and the others
> > appear on the task bar in the order that I open them.
> >
> > All other icons, of course, can be positioned where you want them
> > (including the Kickoff button).  You'll find a description of that at
> > http://userbase.kde.org/Configure_your_desktop#Rearrange_your_Panel
> >
> > Aside - if you haven't seen it, it's also worth visiting
> > http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/File_Management for lots of info about
> > dolphin.
>
> Thanks, for the links.

Lots of valuable info!