[Article] KDE 4.2 Review From Inside Out. Part 2: Applications

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Sat Jan 24 14:59:55 UTC 2009

On Saturday 24 January 2009 01:08:56 Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> I do... There have been huge performance improvements with the new kmail.
> I'm just amazed at how quick things are now.

Interesting...I was going to post about how sluggish Kmail had become
for me; this happens when I go from folder to folder, particularly a large
folder with lots of messages like my Fedora-list or even this one; at bottom
left of the window, you can see that kmail is doing some sort of indexing and
you can watch the numbers go up as it counts various things - and all this has
to occur before a message is displayed; previously, I would hit the key to go
to next message when I was on the last message in a folder, it would advance
to the first unread message in the next folder, and the message would almost be
instantaneously displayed - now there's a very large pause - on Fedora-list
which has around 7000 messages in it at any given time (I have it set to
delete after 90 days), this can take 13 seconds (I just measured it)....
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD