Ooops, we made Linus leave : (choices and punishment)

John5342 john5342 at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 24 23:51:59 UTC 2009

2009/1/24 Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com>

> On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 5:34 PM, John5342 <john5342 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > 2009/1/24 Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com>
> >>
> >> On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com>
> >> wrote:
> http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=Software&articleId=9126619&taxonomyId=18&pageNumber=5

> >> I think it's safe to say from the comments on Aaron's blog that we
> >> (Fedora-KDE) are completely to blame for this.
> >

> > At what point is there anything suggesting Fedora-KDE is to blame. All
> that
> > is said is that he got KDE 4 from Fedora-KDE. That is not the same thing.
> > What is really being reffered to is that KDE 4.0 was too early and they
> > should have made it a little more complete. It is a dig at KDE. Not
> > Fedora-KDE.
>
> --- from article
> I got the update through Fedora and there was a mismatch from KDE 3 to KDE
> 4.0.
> ---

Mismatch between features in KDE 3 and KDE 4. Thats related to KDE 4s early
release. Not Fedora-KDE

> --- from blog text
> it's really hard to stay positive about the efforts of downstreams
> when they wander around feeling they should be above reproach while
> simultaneously hurting our (theirs and ours) users in a rush to be
> more bad ass bleeding edge than any other cool dude distro in town
> ---

Fedora shipped KDE 4 because KDE 3 was due to reach EOL during the Fedora
release. QT was already EOL. There would have been no more updates or fixes
to KDE 3 and that would have put a big strain on Fedora due to having to to
fixes in house so to speak.

> --- from comments
> Fedora messed the update from 3.5 to 4.0 and Linus had to use Gnome .. big
> deal!
> ---

I dont see how Fedora messed up at all. They updated to KDE 4 as was the
only proper option. We didnt do a half arsed attempt at supporting both.
Thats not called messing up. Thats called doing things right.

> --- from comments
> I agree with Aaron that Fedora acted irresponsibly by forcing the
> switch to 4.0, and those kinds of decisions certainly hurt both Fedora
> and KDE.
> ---

Refer to above. QT was EOL and KDE 3 was due to be shortly after.

> --- from comments
> I don't think you can blame Linus for not wanting to use KDE 4.0 and
> not having a choice to use KDE 3.x in Fedora when other distros like
> Suse had managed this feat without any problems. Fedora is junk for
> KDE
> ---

Nobody blames him for anything. He is free to choose and i can personally
see why a lot of people didnt like KDE 4 in its initial form but that doesnt
make Fedora wrong in its decision.

Lets also not forget that one of Fedoras main ideas is to be bleeding edge
and that has ups and downs. If you want an older or more stable or even
backward distro there are tons to choose from. That is everybodies own
choice and Linus made his. He even mentions he will probably try KDE 4 again
now it is more mature. I repeat that the gripe is with KDE 4.0 being
effectively an incomplete product and I agree with him. I also believe that
it was necessary at some point to cut KDE 3 loose and concentrate on KDE 4.
That was an upstream decision and nothing to do with Fedora.

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and
those who don't...