Ooops, we made Linus leave : (choices and punishment)

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Sun Jan 25 05:28:35 UTC 2009

> I think it's safe to say from the comments on Aaron's blog that we
> (Fedora-KDE) are completely to blame for this.
>
> I still love you guys, feel free to say that it was my fault.

Look. It comes down to this. People who use KDE on Fedora are going to be
disgruntled with Fedora and KDE. One by releasing 4 when they did and calling
it Final was somewhat misleading. Though they did state somewhere that this
was a development release it should have been called something other than
final. And at 4.2 it really still isn't final. There is still some polishing
to do and quite frankly if the Desktop isn't feature complete by 4.3 I also
will be revisiting Gnome. To many core things are either disfunctional or
broken and I don't have the time for it.

Why is Fedora partially to blame. It has been plagued with, IMHO, with a bad
case of jump on the "latest must be greatest" bandwagon and releasing as
final, software that is clearly not ready for prime time. The latest round of
this started with Fedora 9 and Xorg 1.5 BETA. KDE 4. And this group think
problem has on and off plagued  Redhat releases since version 8. If the
software isn't ready then it isn't ready.

Fedora should be bleeding edge. But it should be bleeding edge stable. The
final release should not be "OK, its close, let our users complain...and then
we'll fix any other problem that might come up. The beauty of Fedora and Open
Source is that it isn't beholding to any stock holders and deadlines can be
broken if the milestones aren't reached. Strong appeals can be made to the
user base if assistance is required in QA, if they have the resources in
computers and time. But us users shouldn't be treated as sheep. You might find
some of them are wolves in disguise. Maybe with a Development Version for
extra early adopters. But it should clearly be marked as Development.

Even developers use their computers. Unless they're using their computers to
develop for Fedora. If they develop things like kernels then they need a
stable environment from where to build things. I mean really common guys RPM
RC releases as final in Fedora 10.

Sorta makes you think... Doesn't it.

Eli

believed to be clean.