Ooops, we made Linus leave : (choices and punishment)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Jan 25 18:28:33 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> IMO Fedora made one mistake - a bad one, but only one.  They did not shout
> loud enough that you should stick with F8 unless the Live CD convinced you
> that you could live with 4.0, new as it was.

You're right there. But KDE upstream has to be blamed for the same thing,
they also didn't warn enough about 4.0. Still, we probably do have to take
some blame for not getting the word out widely enough. (People would
upgrade and only then come to us to complain and get told they should have
stayed with F8 until 4.1 for their usecase.)

> I also believe that if Fedora had not done the 4.0 release there would not
> have been enough feedback to upstream to get things moving as fast as they
> have done.

Indeed, a lot of the feedback upstream got in the 4.0 times was from Fedora
users. That said, some users also got 4.0 from other distros, e.g. the
Kubuntu Hardy KDE 4 Remix or OpenSUSE (though the Plasma they shipped
as "4.0" was really a mix of 4.0, 4.1 and custom hacks - we cherry-picked
some of their stuff, but they had more - their "4.1" Plasma is also a mix
of 4.1, 4.2 and custom hacks), or built it directly from SVN.

        Kevin Kofler