KDE4 print dialog does not have "Range" option

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Jul 1 22:15:05 UTC 2009

Reuben Budiardja wrote:
> It seems that KDE4 print dialog does not have the "Range" option that was
> in KDE 3.5. Under Option, Copies tab, it only has radio button for "Print
> all" or "Pages from: .. to ..". This is a regression of functionality,
> since in KDE 3.5, I can for example set and print the pages: 1-3,5,8-11;
> but not in KDE4. Is this correct or am I missing something ?

The print dialog is now the one from Qt, because the old kdeprint stuff was
really horribly broken at the KDE 4.0 release time (nobody had done the
necessary work to port it all to KDE 4) and Qt's printing functionality has
improved a lot over Qt 3, so a decision was made to go with Qt's
functionality. Since 4.0, work has been done on improving Qt's printing
functionality as much as possible and on replacing other parts of the old
kdeprint (see the work on system-config-printer-kde and the associated
printer-applet). Unfortunately, Qt 4's print dialog still doesn't support
everything KDE 3's print dialog did.

        Kevin Kofler