KDE Scanning software

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Jul 2 09:29:53 UTC 2009

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> I did a quick test on my HP Photosmart C5180. It works fine, except
> there are very few options compared to what appears in the help document
> (BTW, at least it *has* a help doc, so kudos for that), i.e. no
> bit-depth, image intensity, gamma correction etc. Since I don't know if
> this is a bug or a feature, I've refrained from posting to Bodhi for the
> moment. Maybe it's limitation of the device, or of the SANE driver.

Those options are provided (or not) by the driver. Skanlite doesn't do any
postprocessing (neither does Xsane for that matter) so it only offers the
options the driver offers. Unfortunately, HPLIP seems to have a
GNOME-style "set reasonable defaults and don't let users change anything"
design philosophy. :-(

> Xsane complains about a missing ICM profile so maybe that's related.

No, ICM profiles are optional and AFAIK Skanlite doesn't support them at
all.

        Kevin Kofler