gpg problems

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 28 07:47:54 UTC 2009

On Monday 27 July 2009 23:36:55 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> I wrote:
> > That's normal. Chiasmus was developed by the BSI (more or less Germany's
> > equivalent of the NSA) and so all their work is classified by default.
> > They only declassified a Window$ binary. There's evidence towards the
> > existence of a GNU/Linux command-line version, but said version appears
> > to be still classified and thus not publicly available. And the source
> > code appears to be classified entirely. So I don't think Chiasmus will be
> > available in Fedora any time soon.
>
> PS: And the only reason it's supported at all in KMail is that the
> companies working on KMail encryption were contracted by the German BSI and
> the BSI apparently requested that option to be present for their internal
> use.
>
> If the presence of the useless option really annoys or confuses users, we
> could of course patch it out, but I don't think it's worth doing that.

It's never worried me.  For a long time I assumed that it was a Work in
Progress, and since it never interfered with anything I ignored it.  All the
same, I can imagine that for some people the inability to get it to work might
be worrying, so some sort of explanation would be good.  Could you think of a
suitably-worded short explanation that we could add to
http://userbase.kde.org/KMail/FAQs_Hints_and_Tips ?  Something that just
reassures that for most people it has no relevance.