hp-setup doesn't run

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 28 14:55:38 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 28 July 2009 15:30:10 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > But doesn't that mean that hplip is useless?  If you can't set up your
> > printer, it is.  I'm not being aggressive, just practical.  Happy or not,
> > if you have an HP device that needs hplip, you have to be able to use
> > hp-setup. It's not as though there is a -tui version.
>
> You can use system-config-printer or system-config-printer-kde to set up
> your printer just fine, there's no need to use the vendor-specific hp-setup
> tool.

I did once use s-c-p.  It worked, after a fashion, but you can't use it to set
up every feature of the device.

> Another reason hplip-gui is not installed by default is that the RH folks
> objected to a vendor-specific tool (hp-toolbox) being in the default menus.
> That said, hp-toolbox is the only UI which allows you to check the
> cartridge state or align or clean the cartridges at the moment.

And a few other things too, including fax setup.  It doesn't have to be in the
default menu anyway.  It just has to be available, just as things like nv are.
I still think that the two (hplip and hplip-gui) should be linked if not
packaged together.  It makes no sense any other way.