hp-setup doesn't run

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Jul 29 19:42:36 UTC 2009

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> What is the point of these two applications?
> What does the kde version add?

KDE integration.

> (In my case, when I run it,
> I am not asked for the root password,
> and most of the possible actions are greyed-out.)

That is a bug. Looks like it doesn't support the PolicyKit integration in
system-config-printer properly. Are you running Rawhide or F11?

> I don't understand the relation - if any - of hplib to CUPS.

hplip is a driver for CUPS (and SANE for the scanner part of multifunction
printers), and a set of some additional, HP-specific tools.

> Can one install both without problems?

Yes, you even need CUPS to use hplip.

        Kevin Kofler