hp-setup doesn't run

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Thu Jul 30 01:57:43 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote:

>> (In my case, when I run it,
>> I am not asked for the root password,
>> and most of the possible actions are greyed-out.)
>
> That is a bug. Looks like it doesn't support the PolicyKit integration in
> system-config-printer properly. Are you running Rawhide or F11?

Thanks for your response.

I'm running standard Fedora-11 (up to date).

I notice much the same problem with system-config-printer.
I'm not asked for the root password,
and if I highlight the printer (HP_LaserJet_5L),
go to Printer>>Properties>>Printer Options
and try to change Media Size from Letter to A4,
I am told "You are not authorized to carry out the requested action".

I'm actually told the same if I carry out the same procedure as superuser.
Also, in this case I cannot leave the program.
When I click on Close I get the error message:
----------------------------------
[root at alfred tim]# system-config-printer
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py",
    line 2785, in on_quit_activate
    del self.mainlist
AttributeError: GUI instance has no attribute 'mainlist'

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net