hp-setup doesn't run

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Jul 30 22:04:47 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> If you try to run hp-setup as user it tells you that it *must* be run as
> root. This is a one-time run.

Fun, run e.g. hp-toolbox as root and it will tell you you must not run it as
root (well, first it tells you you should not, then it errors because of
another root check somewhere else). hp-setup on the other hand won't even
run as a regular user (I think years will pass until HP gets wind about
things like PolicyKit). But at least HP is releasing their source code under
a Free Software license unlike most other manufacturers… Still, the hp-setup
tool is entirely useless as all its functionality is already provided by our
own tools (system-config-printer resp. system-config-printer-kde). hp-
toolbox (and hp-systray which it starts too), while providing some unique
and very much necessary functionality (ink cartridge maintenance – IIRC,
some time ago there was some movement to provide a unified interface for
that in CUPS to avoid all the manufacturer-specific tools (there are similar
tools for printers from some other manufacturers, though usually community-
written unlike hp-toolbox), I hope that common interface will get completed
and implemented in the UIs at some point) also duplicates some functionality
of other tools already provided in Fedora and other distributions.

        Kevin Kofler