Sharing brand with upstream [Was: [Design-team] Building Brand Together]

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Thu Jun 18 08:30:51 UTC 2009

Hi all!
I talked to KDE artwork guys (mostly Pinheiro as he's responsible for it) and
as result I think we (KDE SIG at least) should join this effort! Sounds great
for me.

So what is it NOT about?
It's not about stealing Fedora identity and it's not about shipping default
upstream wallpapers, logos etc.

So what is it about?
It's about cooperation and marketing both brands together so everyone can
distinguish between Fedora and KDE (Gnome, other DE, OS etc...) but with
strong visual feeling - I'm using KDE/Gnome/... on Fedora.

Actual proposal from them sounds like:
We have selected our codename for future Fedora release and our design team
prepare artwork (or mockups, depends on time), upstream joins this effort and
they combine our theme with their current theme (so now it's Leonidas and Air
= Airy Leonidas :D) to match together.

What does it mean for us?
Visually consistent and rich desktop environments with strong brand feeling
for both upstream and downstream.

What we have to/should do?
We need our artwork as soon as possible and after F11 process I think we
should reconsider design strategy. I know where the problem was, from Mairín's
comments in my blog post. We should do our best to avoid it for future
releases. Of course - it means lot of communication and you know...

Only for KDE and Fedora?
No, OpenSuse, (K)Ubuntu already accepted this offer, I'm not sure if Gnome is
planning anything similar. This is really in beginnings and maybe some IRC
meeting with all interested parties would be useful.

I think it's a nice idea, sounds great (even I'm not Apple fan :D) and it can
be considered by other DE's teams (upstream/downstream) either. All sides
could gain profit from it. So what do you think about it?

Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>

Office: +420 532 294 275