Automatic upgrade - incomplete kde?

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Wed Jun 24 05:14:32 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 24 June 2009 00:26:06 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 June 2009 20:46:27 Eli Wapniarski wrote:

> > > I've managed to get the fedora-release installed, but I can't get the
> > > network running.  I don't think I stand a snowball in hell's chance of
> > > getting this sorted out.
> >
> > If you run ifconfig, you don't see any network connection at all?
> >
> Yes, the wired connection has an IP.  The wireless connection fails.
>
> That was the prompt I needed, I think.  I just realised that it was still the
> dhcp address.  I had changed it to static with system-config-network so that I
> could set the gateway and dns, but forgot to restart the network.
>
> I've run yum-complete-transaction and it has completed, telling me that there
> are no unfinished transactions.  At last we are on the right track.
>
> Yum update tells me that no packages are marked for update.  What do I try
> next?
>
> > Did you try running your computer with the older kernel? It should still be
> > there.
> >
> As far as I can recall only one was offered.
>
> ls /boot gives
> config-2.6.29.5-191.fc11.i586
> efi
> grub
> initrd-2.6.29.5-191.fc11.i586.img
> System-map-2.6.29.5-191.fc11.i586
> vmlinuz-2.6.29.5-191.fc11.i586
>
> Anne

First... Probably a dumb question. When you upgraded your computer you were in runlevel 3 and no X Windows session (ie KDE, Gnome, etc) was running correct?

Next things we can try

1) Assuming you're in runlevel 3 run startx. Do you see any errors in the console output?

2) Backup and /etc/sysconfig/Desktop if its there and delete the original. Then run:

	init 5

Any difference in behaviour

3) While in runlevel backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf and then delete the original try running startx or init 5 and note what if any changes have occured.

Eli

believed to be clean.