Display corruption in KDE on F11 with intel graphics

Michal Hlavinka mhlavink at redhat.com
Fri Jun 26 08:22:41 UTC 2009

On Thursday 25 June 2009 16:31:29 Andreas Petzold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since I've upgraded from F10 to F11, I'm getting corrupted graphics in
> many kde apps. See
>
> http://iktp.tu-dresden.de/~petzold/corrupt.png
>
> for an example. Usually, the desktop background is displayed in
> toolbars instead of the regular toolbar background, but sometimes this
> also happens in other places. If I resize the window or mouse-over the
> affected parts of the window, the problem fixes itself, but it will
> reappear soon. I've only seen this with kde apps and not with others
> like firefox. Since F10 and F11 use the same qt version I suspect the
> intel drivel for my venerable i830 graphics chipset is at fault. Does
> anybody on this list use F11 with kde on a machine with an (old) intel
> chipset with or without the same problems that I'm seeing? I haven't
> had the time to play around with any of the different acceleration
> options of the new intel driver, I'll check that later.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andreas

Hi,
I'm facing the same problem with nouveau driver but I'm not sure if it is
driver problem or kde problem. I can't reproduce this at will. With nouveau
this occurs much often than with nv driver, at least it seems to me. I usually
get some messages in ~/.xsession-errors:
QPainter::begin: Widget painting can only begin as a result of a paintEvent
QPainter::translate: Painter not active
QPainter::setClipRect: Painter not active
QPainter::hasClipping: Painter not active
QPainter::setPen: Painter not active
QPainter::setBrush: Painter not active
QPainter::drawRects: Painter not active
QPainter::hasClipping: Painter not active
QPainter::setPen: Painter not active
QPainter::setBrush: Painter not active
QPainter::drawRects: Painter not active
QPainter::hasClipping: Painter not active

Michal