Automatic upgrade - incomplete kde?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 27 09:13:01 UTC 2009

On Friday 26 June 2009 23:41:46 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Kevin, please understand that I did not initiate this upgrade, in a
> > sense. When the update notifier sends out that invitation to upgrade it
> > takes control of the upgrade.  This is a service/utility provided by
> > fedora.
>
> That stuff (which is offered by PackageKit) uses preupgrade.
>
> So if you end up with leftover F10 stuff after that, there are 3
> possibilities:
> 1. Your preupgrade was too old. The current version is 1.1.0, it uses F11
> updates and even the F11 versions of 3rd-party repos like kde-redhat to
> upgrade your system. Older versions fetched only what's in the F11
> Everything repo and that tends to be older than the current F10 updates.
> 2. You fetched some packages from something like updates-testing or
> kde-redhat testing/unstable (using --enablerepo= or equivalent) which you
> don't have permanently enabled, so preupgrade didn't find the F11
> equivalents.
> 3. The upgrade paths are broken in the repositories. In that case, bugs
> should be filed against the affected packages.

As I stated elsewhere, #2 is the reason.  My only gripe, if you can call it
that, is that it all happens so automatically that there is no opportunity to
pause, make backups and think out consequences such as this.  The only bug
report I'm inclined to file on this is the request the addition of a button
for "ask me tomorrow" or something similar.