Raising the bar

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Tue Jun 30 20:04:22 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 30 June 2009 20:16:42 Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> > I disagree. It's important for components to work together.
>
> Yes it is. And if you want things to work together then write some kind of middle example of pulseaudio crippling the entire system and I know that you personally want to see the death of it, wine with pulseaduio does not work. Remove pulse flash sound in konqueror does not happen. Gnash is nowhere near ready.

Let that be a lesson to you folks. Never write an email that requires thinking while rushing out the door. Sorry about the lack of coherence here.

Let me get my thoughts straight.

Yes it is important. So write some middleware that works, but don't have applications completely dependent on something that simply doesn't need to be there to run. From my standpoint (let me be clear here if it works for you great. All the power to you) pulseaudio is horribly buggy  software with obvious promise, but not really ready for prime time.

Here is an example of how pulseaudio cripples my system. I run KDE and KDM. With pulseaudio installed in the system pulseaudio automatically runs in the background. With a MMORPG that I run under wine I can't connect to the network unless I completely kill pulseaudio. Phonon does not need pulseaudio to run so I remove pulseaudio except for the libraries otherwise I would be forced to uninstall half my computer and probably completely break it due unnecessary dependencies. Now I run Konqueror with nspluginwrapper and flash 32bit plugin because I'm running Fedora 11 x86_64 and the Beta 64 flash plugin crashes continuously. I go to youtube and guess what. No sound.

I know Kevin. Flash is proprietary, but Gnash is nowhere near ready for prime time and in Fedora once again depends on pulseaudio; including the Gnash-Kash plugin. And while video works with youtube. Once again. No sound. Why???? pulseaudio is not installed.

The is the definition of ARRRRGGGHH or Doh. Depending on your generation :).

Eli

believed to be clean.