Raising the bar

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Jun 30 23:14:01 UTC 2009

Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> Here is an example of how pulseaudio cripples my system. I run KDE and
> KDM. With pulseaudio installed in the system pulseaudio automatically runs
> in the background. With a MMORPG that I run under wine I can't connect to
> the network unless I completely kill pulseaudio. Phonon does not need
> pulseaudio to run so I remove pulseaudio except for the libraries
> otherwise I would be forced to uninstall half my computer and probably
> completely break it due unnecessary dependencies. Now I run Konqueror with
> nspluginwrapper and flash 32bit plugin because I'm running Fedora 11
> x86_64 and the Beta 64 flash plugin crashes continuously. I go to youtube
> and guess what. No sound.

Well, there are at least 2 possible causes:
1. the sound device is busy, so Flash can't open it. Guess what, that's what
PulseAudio is for!
2. you uninstalled PulseAudio without uninstalling alsa-plugins-pulseaudio,
so your ALSA apps are still trying to talk to PulseAudio. That won't work,
of course.

There may be some other explanation.

        Kevin Kofler