kde alpha slow

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Mon Mar 2 08:57:19 UTC 2009

On Monday 02 March 2009 01:24:39 Rex Dieter wrote:
> Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:
> > Hello KDE Sig
> >
> > It has been reported to me several times this week, that the KDE alpha
> > livecd boots very slowly. I have tried it and confirm under 512mb RAM)
> > that after plymouth it takes more than 30 minutes to get the KDE
> > desktop in place, before the installation could start. The
> > installation takes again another 30 minutes.
>
> My own tests boot < 1 minute, but I've more than 512mb ram.
>
> I'll dig up the magic boot options to limit amount of memory used by the
> kernel, and redo the test.

I can confirm it with 512 MB RAM on EEE PC, now I've upgraded to 2 GB but I
still have old module so I can check it again. I thought that 512 MB RAM is
really low for live CD and such slow laptop but then I realized that I don't
have such problem with F10 live CD (iso to usb). I hope it boots from SD card
in USB reader...

Jaroslav