UIDL and KMail

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Tue Mar 3 14:36:33 UTC 2009

I connect to several mail servers from several different machines because of
the nature of the way I work. I have one machine that is set to delete
messages from my mail servers after 10 days, and all other clients on my other
machines are configured to leave messages on the server. This has worked well
for me over years. But periodically, I get the occasional message from KMail
that it doesn't properly support UIDL and that therefore, leaving/deleting
messages from the server properly may not function. Right now, I have two
machines doing this - one is my principal machine, the one that's set to
delete after ten days, which is a desktop that's been in continuous use since
FC1 days - when I start getting those UIDL error messages, KMail becomes
tortuously slow, and seems to download many of the same messages over and
over; the other machine that's doing this right now is a brand new and fully
updated to regular but not testing software - it's an F10 machine running
inside virtual box.

I've been reading page after page from a google search on "KMail UIDL", but
there's no info so far on how to fix this...
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD