soprano-backend-sesame2

Clive Messer clive at vacuumtube.org.uk
Thu Mar 5 01:21:28 UTC 2009

On Thursday 05 Mar 2009 00:49:47 John5342 wrote:

Hello,

First and foremost, the 'crappy' description (or lack of one, you could argue)
is my fault.

> The people who are effected by the deficiencies of the default backend will
> know that sesame2 exists and have indeed asked for it. Sesame2 is however
> not ready for prime time and therefore can't be recommended as a
> replacement for the default at this time. The people who have asked for it
> are the kind of people who would want to test it.

Agreed, it's not ready for prime-time. It will crash, eat babies, use copious
amounts of disk space to index your files and chew up something like 180MB of
resident memory! (So not something to install if you blew a gasket over
akonadi needing a mysql instance.... 3 database instances, akonadi - mysql,
amarok - mysql and add to that the resource hungry Java that is Sesame2.
Ouch!)
On the other hand, as the default (dog-slow) Redland backend is disabled in >=
KDE 4.2, Sesame is *the* nepomuk back-end for the moment, pending the future
Virtuoso, Nepomuk is a technology feature of KDE 4 and it is at least an
option to have the comment, tagging and nepomuk search functionality available
for use/testing.

> It's in a public repo because to comply with Fedora packaging guidelines
> all packages have to be built from source. This package however is the
> upstream binaries bundled into an rpm. I did start packaging this myself
> but source code upstream does not play nice with packaging and currently
> other commitments are draining all my time so unless somebody else gets
> there first i will continue packaging it when i get more time. It should
> then go into standard Fedora.

Apologies for not speaking to you before Rex made the rpm available on kde-
redhat. He did tell me that you were working on it. I looked myself at the
possibility of packaging the Java jar requirements in a Fedora packaging
compatible way and decided that it was rather a lot of work and I didn't have
the time to do it. Hence, the temporary package on kde-redhat with the
upstream supplied binary jars.

Regards

Clive
--