Plasma from KDE 4.2.1-3.FC10 segfaults at KDE startup (Fedora 10 / x86_64)

Chris January chris at atomice.net
Fri Mar 6 13:19:46 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 11:41 AM, Chris January <chris at atomice.net> wrote:
> I have installed KDE 4.2.1-3.FC10 from the kde-redhat kde-testing
> repository and plasma segfaults when KDE is
> starting up. Can anyone tell me how to work out what's wrong?

I tracked this down to what appears to be a bug in panelview.cpp:

PanelView::PanelView calls:

pinchContainment(screenRect);    (panelview.cpp:243)

pinchContainment calls QGraphicsWidget::resize which causes
Plasma::Containment::resizeEvent to fire. This in turn calls
Plasma::Applet::itemChange which indirectly calls
PanelView::updatePanelGeometry.

PanelView::updatePanelGeometry references m_strutsTimer
(panelview.cpp:543). But m_strutsTimer is initialise *after* the call
to pinchContainment in PanelView::PanelView.

The attached (untested) patch may fix the segfault. I've also attached
a backtrace with debugging symbols.

Regards,
Chris