Application Launcher : Display by program name instead of alias

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 18:01:18 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 7:07 AM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Friday 06 March 2009 11:00:07 Eli Wapniarski wrote:
>> >
>> > I'm not sure what you mean here, Arthur.  Can you give us a screenshot?
>> >
>> > Anne
>>
>> I understad Arthur completely. I'm about to seriously paraphrase Bugs Bunny
>> here :D
>>
>> I think what he means, instead of lets say a menu item reading "IP
>> Telphony, VoiP and Video Conferencing" it should read ekiga so that we can
>> decide for ourselves which IP Telphony, VoiP and Video Conferencing
>> application we want to use as our IP Telphony, VoiP and Video Conferencing
>> application so that we can choose which particular IP Telphony, VoiP and
>> Video Conferencing we need at the time we need a particular IP Telphony,
>> VoiP and Video Conferencing application
>>
> Ah - I missed the point totally :-)  OK.  I was thinking of application
> launchers on the panel.
>
> Whether you use kickoff menu or krunner (alt+F2) they have a fuzzy search, so
> if you put in VoIP you should see a list of all the VoIP capable applications
> that you have installed, and you can then click on the one that you want.
> Does that help?

No not really. I know how to search, and that's useful. But I don't
always want to search. Sometimes I just need to see the name of the
app to remember what I am looking for. So I would like to be able to
go to the Multimedia section or whatever it is called and see Amarok,
so I remember that's what I'm looking for. As it is I have to mouse
over each one.

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )