F10 kde logout problems

Peter Reed mrdeadworry at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 14:57:16 UTC 2009

> Peter Reed wrote:
> >> I'd start with removing/renaming/backing-up:
> >>
> >> ~/.kde/share/config/kwin*
> >> ~/.kde/share/config/plasma*
> >> ~/.kde/share/apps/ksmserver
> >> ~/.kde/share/config/ksmserverrc
> >
> > Well I did as you suggest and I can reboot or logout or shutdown once but
> > as
> > soon as I log in again and try any of the above again it fails.  If I
> > <ctr alt f2> and stop X it will go back to the login screen (kdm) I an I
> > can either
> > reboot shutdown or login from there.  Seems like something is
> > consistently screwing with the above mentioned files.  Do you think
> > backing up the entire .kde directory and logging out and in again might
> > solve the problem as Anne says?
>
> Any apps running when you try to logout?  Perhaps the session management,
> and the app shutdown is failing or hanging for some reason.
>
> -- Rex

I usually shut down all programs before I shutdown so that is unlikely.  I
have been using kshutdown to reboot and shutdown since that seems to work.  I
cannot logout with it though.  One thing I noticed in the settings dialog for
Kshutdown it has a check system configuration button.  When I press the button
a message comes up that says KDE Display Manager is not running or the shut
down/reboot function is disabled and underneath that it says to klick here to
configure KDM  which I do.  This brings up a root login box that says it is
running the command kcmshell kdm.  So I enter the root password and then
nothing happens.  It is strange that it would say that kdm is not running I
would think it should be.  Any more suggestions?
Peter