Kmail just disappears

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Mon Mar 23 12:38:59 UTC 2009

On Sat March 21 2009, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> When Kmail crashes, as it often does, it just goes "poof". Regardless
> of if run directly or via Kontact. With or without kdepim-debuginfo,
> and even if run from Konsole.
>
> As of tonight it crashed once, and now just won't open messages I
> click on, with no visible errors.

I've had this happen with individual messages. One message would be
problematic, and it was a real pain to get around (I'd have to find a way to
mark it read  without entering the folder or some such...) I can't say what
fixed the issue, but, I would guess it may have been an update.

Parenthetically, I'd gotten to the point where I was beginning to cast about
for alternatives to Kmail, even though it's feature set makes it my favored
email client. I even set up Evolution on a recent VM just to see if it had
improved (it hadn't - so many little things in Kmail that makes it extremely
configurable and fast are missing in Evolution). Several issues I've brought
up on the list were beginning to drive me crazy, such as the extremely long
indexing operation that went on everytime I entered a new folder (up to over
ten seconds at one point, and I have about 30 folders in any given
installation)... Suddenly, all these problem appear to have vanished. Kmail
has stopped crashing, browsing from folder to folder has become nearly
instantaneous, etc... I wish I could offer more, but, I haven't any idea why
this has improved so dramatically...I will say that on this particular
machine, I recently moved my drives from an older dual-core CPU with one GB of
ram, to a much newer quad-core with 4 GB - it this is the sole reason for my
Kmail issues going away, that says one thing. I'll have to check my other
machines later to see if that's the case.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA