Google Gadgets broken?

Jeffrey D Anderson jdanderson at lbl.gov
Mon Mar 23 19:37:06 UTC 2009

After the latest KDE upgrade on my Fedora 10 machine it seems that google
gadgets no longer work.

I'd had a couple of them installed on my desktop, and now I get empty black
boxes with a message in them that they cannot find "ggl_2" and "ggl_3"

When I try to "Add Widgets" to the desktop, the google gadgets that I'd
previously had installed have an hour glass next to them and cannot be
added.

The drop down box at the bottom, "Install New Widgets" used to have an entry
for "New Plasma Widgets" and for "New Google Gadgets".  Now only the Plasma
widgets entry exists.

Going to krunner and searching for google takes me to a program that, when
run, starts up an RSS newfeed and a clock, so it looks like something is
installed and functioning.

rpm -qa |grep google
google-gadgets-qt-0.10.5-3.fc10.i386
google-gadgets-0.10.5-3.fc10.i386

rpm -q kdebase-workspace
kdebase-workspace-4.2.1-7.fc10.i386

The same problem exists on another newly installed machine running the
x86_64 distribution.

I've also tried creating a new user and have the same results, so I don't
think it's some old cruft in my .kde directory.

Anyone else see this?  I haven't seen any mention on the mailing list, nor
is there anything in the kde bugtracker.

Jeff Anderson
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory