Intermittent audio errors at login

José Matos jamatos at fc.up.pt
Thu May 28 15:00:54 UTC 2009

On Thursday 28 May 2009 15:03:57 Mary Ellen Foster wrote:
> I wanted to check if anyone else is seeing this: I'm running Fedora
> 11(-to-be) with (as far as I know) the default pulseaudio
> configuration. Sometimes when I log in -- I'd say over 50% of the time
> but I'm not sure -- everything basically freezes (mouse moves, menus
> work, but nothing starts) for over a minute. Then I get a dialogue box
> titled "Removed Sound Devices" that says:
>
> KDE detected that one or more internal sound devices were removed.
>
> *Do you want KDE to permanently forget about these devices?*
>
> This is the list of devices KDE thinks can be removed:
>     - Output: PulseAudio Sound Server
>
> (Sometimes the device is "Capture: Default" instead.)
>
> Is this just me? I've realised I've been ignoring it for a while
> because it only seems to happen on login so I forget about it after
> that, but it probably does deserve some investigation...

I get this rarely when entering kde but the display is not frozen and if I
ignore it it will continue with no problems.

FWIW I had this behaviour yesterday after upgrading to kde 4.3 beta 1. I have
never understood the reason and since it is very difficult to reproduce and a
minor annoyance I have ignored it. :-)
--
José Abílio