Too secure to be practical!

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Nov 3 22:08:35 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> It's a complete 8GB SD stick.  I'm trying to wipe it.  I do have the data,
> there's no problem there.

1. Figure out the correct raw device. It's one of the /dev/sd* devices, but
the important question is: which one?!
WARNING: Make sure it's the correct one! You don't want to accidentally
erase your hard disk!

2. Use dd to copy /dev/zero over the raw device found in 1. That will wipe
out the whole drive and get rid of encryption and anything else. It can then
be repartitioned and reformatted from scratch.
WARNING: Once again: Make sure you don't dd over the wrong drive!!!

        Kevin Kofler