How to delete/map Activities?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 27 17:38:13 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 27 October 2009 17:17:26 Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> I have plasma set to use 4 desktop activities, one for
> each virtual desktop.
>
> For some reason there are 6 activities (why?)

I expected 5, but not six!  Read on.
> and at
> each login it can, and occasionally does, happen that
> a different activity is mapped to a virtual desktop.
> The configuration will stay for days, even a couple of
> weeks, and then, all of a sudden one morning when I
> boot up, an activity will appear on the 'wrong'
> virtual desktop (not a big problem) and one of the
> unused activities will appear on a virtual desktop
> (definitely a nuisance).
>
> How can I delete the undesired activities (there is no
> delete X when I zoom out)?

There is a bug in the 4.3 plasma - it forgets that you already have one
desktop - so if you ask for 4 desktops you get 4 plus the one you already
have.  And that one doesn't have the ability to be closed.  I can't explain
where your sixth one came from, though.

I understand that in 4.4 (not yet released) this problem doesn't occur.

> Why does the one appearing on virtual 1, vt 2, etc.
> keep changing without any action on my part?

This is something that some experience and many don't.  I haven't seen any
explanation of it either.  I had the same problem and stopped using the
facility in the hope that it will be better next time around.  All the same
I'd like to know why this happens on some systems.

Sorry I can't help.